Karbon and TDI

This forum is for discusion of BitFlow's Camera Link Products: The R64, Neon-CL and Karbon-CL

Moderator: BFSupport

Karbon and TDI

Postby BrianLChristensen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am

I am hoping to replace our custom frame grabber with the Karbon.

We will be using a TDI camera and have an XY stage to pass over the product to scan (a circular product).

Our old system have 4GB of on board memory so I will be using Windows 7 64 bit - most likely.

We imaged using chunks of memory on our custom fg that the camera would write to...sometimes a whole camera width, sometimes not. And depending on camera direction the buffer would fill top to bottom (T/B0 or B/T. This functionallity made it easy on a XY scanning platform.

Can the buffers be in different direction? Top to bottom or bottom to top?
How long does this take to change? Any methods to crop/invert buffers?

I heard that the buffers can be of different sizes....any place to look in the SDK manual to start?

I have a few months to pull the rabbit out of the hat so I have to pick the right framegrabber (looked at others).

Bian
BrianLChristensen

Postby BFSupport » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36 pm

OK, lots of questions. We'll do our best to answer them here, but it might be easier to fill in the details via phone call.

The board can DMA to host memory buffers with top to bottom or bottom to top. The direction must be set up before acquisition starts, however it does not take that much time to change the direction, but you do have to stop acquisition before you can make changes.

Currently from our high level API we support the following modes:

1. All frames top to bottom
2. Even frames top to bottom, odd frame bottom to top.
3. Odd frames top to bottom, even frame bottom to top.
4. All frame bottom to top.

This should be enough for most XY stages, but if you have more complicated needs, the direction can be customized for each frame in a series.

Our frame grabber do support capture of variable size frames. The size of the frame is controlled by and external trigger type signal. Basically the board starts a frame with the signal asserts and ends when the signal de-asserts. This technique is supported by our high level APIs, so no special programming is needed. All you should need is a camera configuration file that puts the board in this mode.

You can combine the frame inversion with the bottom to top DMA direction.

We do have some hardware methods to crop buffers, however, we probably need to get some more details from you in order to know if we really can support your cropping scheme or not.

We hope this information is helpful, please let us know if you have further questions.

We do try to answer questions here as quickly as possible, but support emails take priority. If you are in a hurry to get an answer, please email support @ bitflow . com.
BFSupport

Return to Camera Link Products