Real Time Video Display

This forum is for discusion of BitFlow's R64, R64e, Karbon, Neon and Alta products.

Moderator: BFSupport

Real Time Video Display

Postby Philip Arcuni » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:19 pm

How can I be confident that a system with bitflow framegrabber is displaying the image real time at full frame rate, with no dropped frames or portions of frames? Can the bitflow hardware/software know the actual display rate?

In particular, I have a 1600x1200 format, 10bit depth, 60fps camera in base CL configuration. It is critical that the monitor display all pixels and all frames. Post camera video processing is not necessary . . only the 8 msbs of the pixel data needs to be displayed. Soon I would like to do the same with a 2Kx2K 60Hz full CL camera.

How do I specify the required system components, such as the video card, processor, data bus, etc.? I do not have to be capturing the data during the display of the data.
Philip Arcuni

Postby BFSupport » Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 am

Hello Philip,

Our frame grabbers are designed for extremely low latency. As soon as the camera is putting out pixels, the board is DMAing them. The only latency might come from a situation where the PCI/PCIe bus is momentarily busy, so DMA is held of for a few microseconds.

If you open our CiView program you will see the frame rate displayed in the lower right of the main window. By default, CiView sets up the board to acquire only the 8 MSBs.

You may want to download the Karbon hardware manual for more information. Or you can email us at support at bitflow dot com.
BFSupport

Return to R64/Karbon/Neon/Alta